Sunday 31 March 2013

Diary of a Revolution Sampler 5

Well so much for the Easter deadline!

Thursday I finally manged to catch up and complete my daily deadlines for stitching the rows and by Thursday evening I had actually finished them all. Bang on time.

Friday morning I got up and straight to work.
First I sliced up my T-shirt from the demonstration last May 12.
The T-shirt was shorter than the sampler so I added on pieces of posters backed with muslin.


Originally I had thought of combining my T-shirt with flamenco dress fabric (of which I seem to have bought quite a lot over the last few years and not really used much) but in the end I chose a nice bright communist/revolution red - really what else could it have been.


Strips laid out in sewing order

I was a little bit worried about the stretchiness of the T-shirt fabric and I envisioned a few problems with the tension between the strips. I ripped the red fabric to make sure that they were really running down the grain. When I sewed the strips I sewed them all from the top, lining up the top edges, and I was pleasantly surprised that it all sewed up fine and lies flat - well there's one or two small bumps but only I know where they are.


The back looks a bit like a flag, and though no football fan suspiciously reminds me of the Barcelona colours.
As the top is so flat I decided to baste the wadding only to the back. Also because I don't want to put any uneccesary holes through the top. I then planned to place the top on top and do the rows of quilting stitches from the centre out.
Not even lunchtime and so much done.

Next step search through all the plastic bags in the wardrobe for the wadding. Nice piece of wool but my gut instinct is for a piece of cotton which will hold its shape. 
More bags and more bags (even more flamenco fabric, think I'll have to stop acquiring it) and finally the realisation that I have no wadding. DISASTER

It's Good Friday, everything's closed, and tomorrow I'm off for the day to the coast.
I almost made the deadline. This week I'll buy the wadding and now I'm planning on having it finished in two weeks. That's the plan.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate you leaving a comment. Ideally I would love this blog to be a place for quilters to discuss topics and share experiences related to the posts .