Thursday 11 July 2013

A Room of one's own

Well, here's the view out of window of my new studio.



Well, it's the view if you stand right next to the window and look out sideways.
This is actually the view when I'm sitting at my work table


and studio is another name for the spare bedroom. But hey, it's a big step up from where I've been working for the last few years.

In May we moved out of Granada and came to live on the coast. Almuñécar, the small town where Laurie Lee ended up when he walked out one Midsummer's morning. We're living in the Barrio San Miguel, a large cluster of old houses on the hill around the castle and overlooking all of the town and the beach. The houses are built like a chinese puzzle. Our house is L-shaped with other houses nestling into us. Once up on the 'terraza' you're in Escher land with multiple levels and geometric shapes in every tone of white.

But back to my workspace. The last few years my large work table took up about  a third of the bedroom. Turn around and there was the bed. To be honest when you're laying out all the blocks for a quilt a double-bed is quite handy and lying in bed is a useful way of assessing the latest design dilemma pinned to the wall - and my best ideas are usually first thing in the morning. But that's probably where the advantages end.

So now I have a whole room to myself. Almost. There's an ugly wardrobe full of chairs, boxes, electric fans and a large roll of wool wadding. The new house somehow doesn't have a lot of empty floor space and so basting a quilt means moving furniture. This is probably why the roll of wadding hasn't been opened. There are also  boxes which still need to be unpacked, somewhere in them is my bead box. All the odds and ends which we don't want in other rooms seem to be defying gravity and moving up to my room.

My Room: at the top of the house, next to the terraza, a little bit hot by the end of the day, with a view of a tiny sliver of the Mediterranean. My Room.

However, I have a sneaking feeling that when I finish the next quilt I might just miss that bed behind me. It's a long way down to the floor.




Escher Land




No comments:

Post a Comment

I really do appreciate you leaving a comment. Ideally I would love this blog to be a place for quilters to discuss topics and share experiences related to the posts .